Opel Manta A-L SR with 6 syl 3 liters engine.
That time a had Opel Ascona-A, which, "of course" was installed wit lots of tuning stuff, like 308 deg. camshaft from Enem, and bigger valves, 40 mm Weber carburettors..etc.
Anyway, I was tired of continuous fixing of the car. It didnīt have enough torgue and it wasnt anymore fun to drive, so I decided to change Ascona back to just slightly tuned..almost normal.
So, I lived just next to him, so while I was looking to that mysterious looking cool A-manta, I decided to have one of those to my self also..
Later Toni bought another manta, and it was in very bad shape, so we started to build it. Manta become very "familiar" to us, but -92 army stopped our reconstuction sessions and both car were left alone for a one year...after that we finished this "second" manta, and SR somehow was "forgotten" and started to show some marks of getting old..
Well, opels comes and goes, I had several short projects like Kadett-coupe -67, ascona-b and stuff, but SR was on my mind, and finally 1995 Toni askend if I wanted to by it? What do you think..after short discussion car changed owner and I started to build it back to streest..
Car was little rusty here and there, front seats was missing, engine was missing, gearbox was missing, but it didnīt slow me down while changin technic to my present(at the time..) Ascona B20E. After short period car was back on the streets again, and smile on my face didnīt go away for a long time..
I used car those times through the year (we have snow You know ) and december -95 alternator broke down, and I decided to fix old boys engine at the same time, so I lift the engine up, and looked what it has 'eaten'..
And then I started to do some space to the engine...First I made some room to cooler, then gearbox etc.
Short description: I cut whole front away, and also upper transmission tunnel. I lift car up, put new engine at midle of frontaxle, and lowered body back down.
This way I had wery exillent weight balance, because engine didnīt went so front, and now I just welded everything back together, justa litle bit different place..
So, engineroom started to look pretty naturally, but lot was still to do...like transmission changes. Box become 240 Getrac, and it was purcached in Opel Rekord 2,2-86. There I had to shorten the gearselections "stick" place, so that it didnīt come too back. Also heater cover was modified little.
Finally interior parts become to almost orginal looking, but it neaded few hours to change consol "hole" position.
Also oilpan is made "by me", I had to use commodores frames, and everything else was nead to make some parts of straight steel parts.
Exhaust pipe is also hand made 2,5" pipe, with martelius first silencer and simons second silencer.
Same time car was painted red again.
This took time about 5 months, and finally it was time to start car and see if something was working incorrectly....
a feeling it was when everything was working just fine, and I
went to a test drive to a local closed road...windows were open
and I sit at woodchair, without any interior parts fitted at this time, no hood, sensational straight six engine screaming at itīs
best...aahh...feeling that never slips out of my mind..Iv done
it. It worked. Still I had to show car to inspectors, and they
are gonna give final solution either itīs leagal or not...and it
never believe how much butterflyes I had in my stomach at the time...)
All modifications made by owner Jyrki
Special thanks to;